The first frame house in Tamworth beside the Salmon River. Built by Calvin Wheeler 1832.
The Salmon River is almost dried out at the end of August. The dam was part of O'Neil's Grist Mill.
Bay of Quinte Railway bridge (BQR) built in 1884, abandoned in 1941. Connects to Enterprise and Yarker to the east, and Marlbank and Tweed to the west. All the railway bridges were built with stone bases then, concrete was not used until after 1900. The original locomotives here would have used wood for fuel, it cost about $2.35 a full cord, and was good for about 35 miles, (60 km.) Construction labour was about $1.25 per 10 hour day, 6 days a week.
Methodist church built in 1913.
The Stone Mills Recreation Centre. A popular community hockey arena.
Originally known as the Moss Mill, later the Grange Mill, built in 1856 to saw lumber and grind grain. Burned in 1960, now rebuilt as a private home.
Bay of Quinte Railway train station in Tamworth, Built in 1884. The bay window wing was standard for all their stations, the freight was handled in the far wing. The last passenger was in 1925, and the last freight was in 1941. The railway went from Deseronto, Yarker, Tamworth, Marlbank, Stoco (Tweed), Queensborough, and joined the Central Ontario Railway at Bannockburn north of Madoc. It was called the Kingston Napanee and Western Railway (KN&WR) from 1891 to 1897.
There was once a saw mill behind this flour mill, and a cheese factory and a tannery on the right (east) bank in 1878. The Salmon River used to have Atlantic salmon spawn here. Too many dams and over fishing elimintated them by 1840.
A distinctive house in Tamworth.