This old Georgian house built in 1829 for Richard Miskin and his wife Sarah. Window glass was hand made back then, in small fragile sheets and had to be protected by shutters in storms. The fence is a Scottish/Irish dry stone design. It is uniquely low and in using alternating sizes of cap stones. There are many examples on Amherst Island, and scattered around Ontario. Most are relatively short, in front of houses or churches, indicating that they were more for asthetics than function.
Monument to the purchase of the local lands in 1787 from the Mississauga Chiefs and re-affirmed in 1805.
The end of Old Portage Road. Until 130 years ago, this was a busy place where boats were unloaded and the cargo carried 3 km. over land to avoid going around Prince Edward County in Lake Ontario, which had sunk many boats over the years. Thus the name, "Carrying Place". The portage followed high dry land, it was later replaced by the Murray Canal built in 1883 to 1887 which was 8 km. long and as part of the Trent Severn Water way which went north from Trenton to Georgian Bay.
Methodist Church built in 1909 with simulated stone and buttresses.